One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of a genus that includes lungwort.
Genus Pulmonaria, family Boraginaceae
- ‘Ferns, hellebores, pulmonarias, and wild gingers are also nice companion plants.’
- ‘Snowdrops are fading and their place is being taken by early daffodils, pulmonaria and primroses.’
- ‘MY pulmonarias have been lovely this year, clumps of frosted leaves and pink and lilac flowers throughout the garden hiding the dying foliage of snowdrops and mingling with forget-me-nots.’
- ‘In kinder climates such as hers, she says, pulmonarias, cyclamen, and primroses bloom early enough to pair nicely.’
- ‘There are plump, pink buds on the bergenias, and small, white flowers coming on the pulmonarias.’
Modern Latin, from medieval Latin pulmonaria (herba), feminine (used as a noun) of Latin pulmonarius ‘relating to the lungs’ (from the belief in its efficacy in curing lung diseases).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.