One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A young bird or nestling that is not yet able to fly.‘a bird ringed as a pullus at Fuerteventura was seen at Porto’
chick, baby bird, fledglingView synonyms
- ‘The South West Lancs Ringing Group ringed 54 pullus barn owls in their area this year.’
- ‘A pullus ringed at Brinkburn in June, was killed by a cat at Pontefract, West Yorkshire, in August.’
- ‘Dr. Bennett's beautiful Cassowaries have yielded two ripe pulli; these were both hatched alive at the Society's Gardens.’
- ‘One ringed in Galicia, Spain, as a pullus in July 1989, was found freshly dead on the Isle of Wight in February 1992.’
- ‘Pulli growth rates and development were measured and correlated with weather and state of the moon.’
Early 18th century: Latin, literally ‘young chick’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.