Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Breed or spread prolifically or rapidly.‘a pullulating little swarm of fish’
sprout, shoot up, spring up, develop, bud, burst forth, germinate, bloomView synonyms
- ‘And books, everywhere, sprouting like mushrooms in a greenhouse, pullulating on shelves, in shoots that teeter at navel height like cubist stalagmites.’
- ‘The hardest, foulest, most odious fact of all that he has to acknowledge is that much of his uncle, blood-kin truly, as of his mother, and no doubt his greatly admired father as well, is pullulating in him and in all of us.’
- ‘The condition of the theatre was such that we had to assume that the pullulating colony of feral cats who inhabit the shed had been making their own entertainment in the winter evenings.’
- ‘It had one other advantage; at a time when the young king was taking his first steps as a ruler, the Mentor, as Maurepas was generally known, provided a screen between him and the pullulating factions of Versailles.’
- ‘People have had patches of their skin sterilized: cleaned of all those pullulating bacterial parasites.’
- 1.1Be very crowded and lively.‘our pullulating megalopolis’
- ‘Lilywhite wards and the astringent smell of disinfectant had turned into a sad and pullulating slum, the saving grace being the medical orderlies who had refused to surrender.’
- ‘This was early Tharp, and pullulated with groundbreaking ideas.’
- ‘Although he never married, Hooker's flat on the Brighton sea-front pullulated with friends, widows of friends and innumerable godchildren.’
Early 17th century: from Latin pullulat- sprouted, from the verb pullulare, from pullulus, diminutive of pullus young animal.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.