One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A knitted garment put on over the head and covering the top half of the body.
- ‘Its new girls' wear range for spring features lots of floral prints on dresses and capris as well as bold stripes on sweaters and fleece pullovers.’
- ‘I saw tables where there used to be desks, funky sweatshirts instead of grey pullovers, and a class full of smiling schoolchildren learning about Mondrian on laptops.’
- ‘This season, chunky pullovers and zip or wrap cardigans with classic snowflake or reindeer motifs are sure to warm the hearts of even the burliest men.’
- ‘From crew to V-necks and turtlenecks, any of these pullovers are sure to help you keep warm and look great, whether with a pair of tweed pants or jeans.’
- ‘Despite his devout Muslim beliefs, he did not wear traditional clothes, preferring instead denim jeans and pullovers in order to merge with the bustling background.’
- ‘Choose pullovers with a small V-neck that draw the eye down, rather than a round neck, which creates a broader shoulder line.’
- ‘Not to spook you or anything, but your cashmere hoodies and wool pullovers could be premiering in their own little horror flick as we speak.’
- ‘All the clothing vendors rapidly sold out of sweatshirts, fleece pullovers and other warm gear.’
- ‘Now, you just cannot stand the sight of those woollen pullovers, the windcheaters.’
- ‘But in reality, knitwear is so much more than that - it includes a wide array of pullovers, turtlenecks and cardigans, among other items.’
- ‘Nor will it be available to anyone on the extreme fringes of environmentalism who lives in a hut in the woods with a wind-up generator and knits pullovers from vegetable peelings.’
- ‘My mother-in-law knitted me pullovers, which went right up to the neck.’
- ‘With winter at its peak, the sari can be teamed even with woollen blouses and pullovers.’
- ‘Old-school styling is revamped - prints in a frayed vintage typography, combinations featuring short sleeves over long sleeved garments and hooded pullovers are part of this style.’
- ‘Rather than waste suitcase space on wrinkle-resistant items like pullovers or sweatshirts, use the travel case.’
- ‘So, head straight for sweaters, pullovers, and shawls.’
- ‘For the rest of us, cardigans and pullovers should do unless a blazer or suit is demanded by the occasion.’
- ‘Everyone around is wearing colourful sweaters, cardigans and pullovers.’
- ‘Knitting pullovers for the family is old hat for Mary Johnstone.’
- ‘Instead of their blouses they're wearing thick polo neck pullovers… instead of the mini skirts, trousers of course, and to finish the look, huge heavy work boots.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.