One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A block or casing in which one or more pulleys are mounted.
- ‘The first factory to use steam engines was in Portsmouth Dock Yard for the making of pulley blocks for sailing ships.’
- ‘The pulley block had not been invented at this time and the Vikings used a curious devices called ‘Virgins', ‘Angels' or ‘Maidens'.’
- ‘A solitary pulley block lies encrusted against the steel deck.’
- ‘At sea, this would be connected by ropes across the deck through pulley blocks to a drum behind the ship's steering wheel.’
- ‘Further on huge pulley blocks that had snapped off during the sinking lay scattered amongst other debris.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.