One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American term for ring pull
- ‘Smith Dairy also recently upgraded its closures, opting for a new large pull tab on the foil seal beneath the cap, to allow for easier opening.’
- ‘Some medications are available in commercially prepared vials with a pull tab for removing the metal rim.’
- ‘This mom's set of keys can never be mistaken, since no one has a key chain sculpted from genuine soda-can pull tabs.’
- ‘Under the plastic top was a foil freshness cover with a handy pull tab.’
- ‘As he tore off the pull tab, brown foam gushed out over his hand and down the front of his work togs.’
2US A gambling card with a tab that can be pulled back to reveal a row or rows of symbols, with prizes for matching symbols.
- ‘If you don't win, drink a little more and spend all of your money on pull tab gambling. You gotta love Indiana.’
- ‘Strategies used for increasing the chances of winning and abuses associated with pull tab gambling were described.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.