One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Succeed in achieving or winning something difficult.‘he pulled off a brilliant first round win’
achieve, fulfil, succeed in, accomplish, bring off, bring about, carry out, carry off, execute, perform, perpetrate, discharge, complete, conduct, negotiate, clinch, work out, fix, effect, establish, engineerView synonyms
- ‘The thought of it is enough to make you wince, but the performers are skilled enough to pull it off.’
- ‘Mr Ahern may have difficulty in pulling this trick off.’
- ‘Going public will make it more difficult to pull the scheme off a second time, and may give them an unsavoury reputation in some quarters.’
- ‘These four albums will show you why he simultaneously succeeded and failed to pull it off.’
- ‘They can play a whole set of completely new material and still pull it off.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.