One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cord that operates a mechanism when pulled.
- ‘They will not inflate the jacket with 002 gas either automatically upon water immersion or manually with the pull cord.’
- ‘My host crossed the room and opened the garage door with a pull cord.’
- ‘The judge decided the bike was not actually a normal motor vehicle, as it was impossible to insure, had no lights, horn, or gears and was started by a pull cord.’
- ‘Operated by means of a pull cord with spring return, the drilling action was continued between pulls by the energy imparted to the fly wheel.’
- ‘At all other times the warden would be replaced by a remote agency at the end of an emergency pull cord.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.