One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Trick someone.‘he had been trying to pull a fast one on his producer’
outsmart, outwit, out-think, outmanoeuvre, outplay, be cleverer than, steal a march on, trick, gull, make a fool of, get the better ofView synonyms
- ‘To be honest, we thought he was trying to pull a fast one.’
- ‘Are people playing by the rules of the game or pulling a fast one?’
- ‘But will customers think the fast food giant is pulling a fast one?’
- ‘It tickles me that these folks think they are pulling a fast one on the Big Guy.’
- ‘It showed that management was just trying to pull a fast one.’
- ‘It's tough when a close pal pulls a fast one on you.’
- ‘Or were the prosecutors trying to pull a fast one?’
- ‘The woman they have been calling a political novice has just pulled a fast one on them.’
- ‘She plays a petty shop owner in a village, whose idea of a joke is pulling a fast one on customers.’
- ‘You aren't pulling a fast one on me, are you?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.