Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small spiral shell typically strung with others to make necklaces or bracelets.→ pooka
- ‘A true metalsmith, she crafts pieces that are simple but can easily be dressed up for your next luau: the winsome puka shell necklace; the delicate heart-shaped earrings; or the sweet dome rings inlaid with tiny stars.’
- ‘He's got light brown hair, is really tan, tall, has a white puka shell necklace.’
- ‘Janson has tousled blond hair and wears puka shells around his neck.’
- ‘He had a white puka shell necklace on with light green flame swim trunks and that was it.’
- ‘Like teenaged girls across the planet, I had the posters, the record albums, the T-shirts, and dreamed of what it would be like to be that string of puka beads around his neck!’
Hawaiian, literally hole.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.