One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small spiral shell typically strung with others to make necklaces or bracelets.
- ‘He had a white puka shell necklace on with light green flame swim trunks and that was it.’
- ‘He's got light brown hair, is really tan, tall, has a white puka shell necklace.’
- ‘Like teenaged girls across the planet, I had the posters, the record albums, the T-shirts, and dreamed of what it would be like to be that string of puka beads around his neck!’
- ‘A true metalsmith, she crafts pieces that are simple but can easily be dressed up for your next luau: the winsome puka shell necklace; the delicate heart-shaped earrings; or the sweet dome rings inlaid with tiny stars.’
- ‘Janson has tousled blond hair and wears puka shells around his neck.’
Hawaiian, literally ‘hole’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.