Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A competitive test of a horse's ability to jump large obstacles in showjumping:‘nine horses contested last night's Puissance’[as modifier] ‘a Puissance horse’
- ‘This was done in one of the Puissance competitions.’
- ‘Samsung and Fáilte Ireland, the principal sponsors, are this year joined by Land Rover Ireland which adds its name to the Puissance (high wall) competition.’
- ‘Harry, riding XL, and Conor were two of six riders to share second place in Saturday's Puissance.’
- ‘The programmes have all the action from the four days including the seven-foot wall in the Puissance, the National Grand Prix and the Pairs Relay.’
- ‘On Saturday, the highlight will be the Puissance.’
2archaic, literary Great power, influence, or prowess.
control, authority, influence, dominance, mastery, domination, rule, command, ascendancy, supremacy, dominion, sovereignty, jurisdiction, sway, weight, leverage, hold, grasp, sayView synonyms
- ‘But their puissance cannot conceal their incurable inferiority.’
- ‘All three sections begin powerfully and carry that puissance - and often it's not a force that we nor the narrator can control - throughout the section.’
- ‘I believe that this divinity, is a result of a puissance that is present in every particle, the rhythm of creation.’
- ‘A combination of apparently unlimited electoral puissance and an underlying lack of both intellectual self-confidence and political principle has destabilised him.’
- ‘Increasingly, celebrities are using their media clout and general popularity to gain political puissance.’
Late Middle English (in puissance): from Old French, power, from puissant having power (see puissant). Sense 1 dates from the 1950s.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.