One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass noundated, humorous
The profession or hobby of boxing.‘I do not go to displays of pugilism’
boxing, prizefighting, bare-knuckle boxing, bare-knuckle fighting, fisticuffs, sparringView synonyms
- ‘He once played a competitive basketball match the day of a fight, and in conversations with reporters he much prefers to discuss his collection of fighting chickens than anything remotely concerned with pugilism of the human variety.’
- ‘The city would ultimately become the first in the country to attempt to truly legitimize pugilism by sanctioning it in 1890.’
- ‘The pair will undergo intensive training for a month in secret gyms in the South East under the wings of some of British boxing's finest trainers - before coming together for three rounds of power-packed pugilism.’
- ‘It was clear the spirit of pugilism had left New Orleans.’
- ‘Across the Channel English boxing, or pugilism, had of course already been in existence for well over two centuries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.