One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNorth American
Exaggerated or false praise.‘his puffery actually was not far from the truth’
publicity, advertising, promotion, marketing, propaganda, push, build-up, boostingView synonyms
- ‘There has always been a fine line between legitimate puffery and misleading advertising.’
- ‘Your bit of equivalent puffery was, ‘Nobody does it better’.’
- ‘‘This last bit is not just puffery,’ Sulzberger said.’
- ‘Overall, though, despite the blizzard of facts and figures, both candidates generally limited themselves to modest exaggerations and standard issue political puffery.’
- ‘Savvy readers soon learn to discount this overt puffery.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.