One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of thick padded jacket.
- ‘Billed as light, gentle exercise, it left me feeling like I'd swum the Channel wearing flared jeans and a Puffa jacket.’
- ‘Unkempt, but clean shaven, he was wearing a dark Nike baseball cap, black Puffa jacket and dark jeans.’
- ‘He was wearing a blue Puffa jacket, workmen's trousers and brown heavy duty boots.’
- ‘Police said the first man was white, in his early 30s, about 6ft 2in tall and wearing a cream-coloured Puffa jacket.’
- ‘I'm all for fresh air and I think the combination of double glazing and radiators can be stifling, but you have to maintain a degree of comfort and sitting watching TV in a Puffa jacket and three pashminas isn't it.’
1990s: origin uncertain; perhaps respelling of puffer.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.