One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Light flaky pastry, used for pie crusts, canapés, and sweet pastries.
- ‘The combined effect of the rolling and turning and the rise produced by the yeast is to give a pastry as light as normal puff pastry, but with a softer, richer texture and a more interesting flavour.’
- ‘The only real overlap is in some of the base recipes like pastry cream and puff pastry.’
- ‘Anyway, to cut a long rant short, ‘cover with clingfilm and chill’ is why I refuse to make my own puff pastry.’
- ‘Here in France during the winter, the windows of pastry shops are lined with all sizes of Galettes de Rois, disks of caramelized puff pastry filled with almond paste.’
- ‘In addition to the tiny spring rolls, foie gras, and cheesy puff pastry, there's also smoked salmon with sprigs of dill on thin slices of what I believe to be pain de campagne.’
- ‘Luscious cream in puff pastry startles with the addition of salt-laced vanilla ice cream.’
- ‘Cover each tart with a puff pastry circle and bake until the puff pastry is golden and crisp, about ten minutes.’
- ‘I'd do difficult things like puff pastry or meringues.’
- ‘Dust both sides of puff pastry with powdered sugar, reserving excess powdered sugar.’
- ‘In its richness, it could stand as an emblem for the whole Oslo Court kitchen: white crab meat and mushrooms, in a rich cream-based sauce, wrapped in a purse of puff pastry with a sweet brandy sauce on the side.’
- ‘The puff pastry slowly absorbs the sauce, and is a delight to eat at the end.’
- ‘350g puff pastry, or 375g sheet ready-rolled pastry, thawed if frozen’
- ‘On lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry into a circle at least 2 inches larger than casserole.’
- ‘Resting atop the salad were two crescents of puff pastry filled with potatoes and cheese.’
- ‘I don't know how he made it, but it tasted like crispy puff pastry made with ground nuts instead of flour.’
- ‘Pierce bottom of puff pastry with a fork and place another 4-inch tart mold over dough to prevent rising.’
- ‘Indeed, I think the waiter mis-heard my order and served up the baby vegetable pot pie instead, which, for £11, was packed full of vegetables and topped with puff pastry.’
- ‘It seems that lots of folks want to cut the rind off before serving, or dress it up with honey and puff pastry.’
- ‘Using a lattice dough roller, cut one sheet puff pastry into three 2-inch circles.’
- ‘But this wasn't available that evening, so I went for the golden puff pastry, topped with pastry cream, caramelised nuts and served with vanilla bean ice cream.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.