One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Light flaky pastry, used for pie crusts, canapés, and sweet pastries.
- ‘On lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry into a circle at least 2 inches larger than casserole.’
- ‘Cover each tart with a puff pastry circle and bake until the puff pastry is golden and crisp, about ten minutes.’
- ‘Luscious cream in puff pastry startles with the addition of salt-laced vanilla ice cream.’
- ‘The puff pastry slowly absorbs the sauce, and is a delight to eat at the end.’
- ‘In its richness, it could stand as an emblem for the whole Oslo Court kitchen: white crab meat and mushrooms, in a rich cream-based sauce, wrapped in a purse of puff pastry with a sweet brandy sauce on the side.’
- ‘The combined effect of the rolling and turning and the rise produced by the yeast is to give a pastry as light as normal puff pastry, but with a softer, richer texture and a more interesting flavour.’
- ‘But this wasn't available that evening, so I went for the golden puff pastry, topped with pastry cream, caramelised nuts and served with vanilla bean ice cream.’
- ‘350g puff pastry, or 375g sheet ready-rolled pastry, thawed if frozen’
- ‘Anyway, to cut a long rant short, ‘cover with clingfilm and chill’ is why I refuse to make my own puff pastry.’
- ‘The only real overlap is in some of the base recipes like pastry cream and puff pastry.’
- ‘Resting atop the salad were two crescents of puff pastry filled with potatoes and cheese.’
- ‘It seems that lots of folks want to cut the rind off before serving, or dress it up with honey and puff pastry.’
- ‘Dust both sides of puff pastry with powdered sugar, reserving excess powdered sugar.’
- ‘Here in France during the winter, the windows of pastry shops are lined with all sizes of Galettes de Rois, disks of caramelized puff pastry filled with almond paste.’
- ‘Indeed, I think the waiter mis-heard my order and served up the baby vegetable pot pie instead, which, for £11, was packed full of vegetables and topped with puff pastry.’
- ‘I don't know how he made it, but it tasted like crispy puff pastry made with ground nuts instead of flour.’
- ‘Pierce bottom of puff pastry with a fork and place another 4-inch tart mold over dough to prevent rising.’
- ‘I'd do difficult things like puff pastry or meringues.’
- ‘Using a lattice dough roller, cut one sheet puff pastry into three 2-inch circles.’
- ‘In addition to the tiny spring rolls, foie gras, and cheesy puff pastry, there's also smoked salmon with sprigs of dill on thin slices of what I believe to be pain de campagne.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.