One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large, sluggish, mainly nocturnal African viper which inflates the upper part of its body and hisses loudly when under threat.
- ‘I once organised the rescue of a small girl who had been bitten by a puff adder.’
- ‘I was once on the way to the car and a puff adder reared up in front of me.’
- ‘And hiding in over 50 varieties of grasses, are snakes: among them the deadly rinkhals and puff adders.’
- ‘Oh yes, and don't forget to watch where you put your feet - puff adders are very well camouflaged.’
- ‘Nine puff adders, seven Usambra mountain vipers and a green mamba were included.’
- 1.1North American term for hognose snake
- ‘When threatened, this hognose (puff adder) usually spreads its head and neck, hissing loudly to feign ferocity.’
- ‘‘Puff Adder’ is one of several names for the Eastern Hognose Snake (Heterodon platyrhinos).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.