One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) an institution where official archives are kept for public inspection.
- ‘His tomb of Dr John Yonge is now in the museum of the Public Record Office, London.’
- ‘The Public Record Office for Northern Ireland was set up in Belfast in 1923.’
- ‘The Friends Of York City Archives argue that the new facility will be too small, and point to a Public Record Office report which said there is ‘great scope for the creation of additional space’ at its present location.’
- ‘Gilert's treatise is at Great Britain Public Record Office.’
- ‘The will is preserved in the Public Record Office, London.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.