One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The funds raised by a government by taxation or other means.‘a drain on the public purse’
- ‘Demands on the public purse continue to grow and tax revenues are depleted.’
- ‘Nepotism was rife, friends and relatives were given jobs or found themselves the recipients of grants funded from the public purse.’
- ‘Why should what we pay or don't pay to the public purse be confidential?’
- ‘He said that the public purse was not being properly protected.’
- ‘One of the reasons is that the trip was funded from the public purse and, as taxpayers, people deserve an explanation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.