Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lawyer employed by the state in a criminal trial to represent a defendant who is unable to afford legal assistance.
- ‘The public defenders representing Workman at trial told him his guilt was a foregone conclusion.’
- ‘And most are defended not by private attorneys but by public defenders or appointed lawyers.’
- ‘A parole petition had to be agreed upon by the public defender, district attorney's office, and the presiding judge.’
- ‘Judges also often assign public defenders who have no experience in death penalty cases, such as tax lawyers.’
- ‘Texas has no public defenders at all; defendants must rely on court-appointed lawyers who are given few resources with which to mount a defense.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.