One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A proposed law that affects the public as a whole.
- ‘As soon as a public bill has received the Royal Assent, a print of the Act in the form in which it was finally passed is prepared in the Public Bill Office of the House of Lords…’
- ‘They are a mixture of private and public bills and come about if someone or some people are going to be treated differently to others.’
- ‘The Act declared that a money bill could be presented for royal assent after one month, even without the Lords’ consent, and other public bills after two years.’
- ‘These are introduced in the form of public bills which pass through the same distinct stages of debate and discussion in both Houses of Parliament.’
- ‘It was my judgment that the amendments were out of order, because they were in the nature of private legislation and not admissible as amendments to a public bill.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.