Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system of microphones, amplifiers, and loudspeakers used to amplify speech or music in a large building or at an outdoor gathering.
public address system, pa system, speaker, speaker unit, speaker system, microphoneView synonyms
- ‘Every year, the youth start off on their bicycles, which are fitted with a public address system, and visit even the remote corners of the State, to spread the message of communal harmony.’
- ‘The periodical announcement over the public address system about the services available brings more people here.’
- ‘They will now be supported by the new public address system - with loud speakers placed strategically on cameras throughout the city centre.’
- ‘He came onto the public address system and said he had some good news and some bad news.’
- ‘For example, if they go to a meeting, they should strongly suggest that the speaker use a public address system.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.