Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The period during which adolescents reach sexual maturity and become capable of reproduction.‘the onset of puberty’‘a particularly traumatic puberty’
adolescence, pubescence, sexual maturity, growing upyouth, young adulthood, teenage years, teens, the awkward agejuvenescenceView synonyms
- ‘Generally, girls reach puberty approximately six months to a year earlier than boys.’
- ‘Central to this are the sex hormones, which are produced at puberty.’
- ‘Now the gymnasts for instance have been shown to have delayed menarche and also delayed puberty.’
- ‘An increase in physical size is the first sign of puberty in boys.’
- ‘The onset of acne is usually around puberty, but in a minority of cases it may also start in adulthood.’
- ‘If you have not shown any signs of puberty by the age of fifteen, it is a good idea to visit your GP for a check-up.’
- ‘Significant differences in the timing of the onset of puberty between populations are well known.’
- ‘This is quite common in adolescents and is often first noted at the onset of puberty.’
- ‘The magnitude of the difference rises substantially after puberty, but the reason for this change is unclear.’
- ‘In a few cases these feelings continue and so the physical effects of puberty can be very distressing and confusing.’
- ‘The onset of puberty appears to be triggered by changes in the blood melatonin level.’
- ‘Then, girls reach puberty before boys and so are more mature in their both their approach to learning and ability to learn.’
- ‘During puberty or nearing menopause, many women have irregular periods so no treatment is necessary.’
- ‘Times have changed; many girls are now reaching puberty at Primary School.’
- ‘Our study indicates that puberty may also be a highly vulnerable period.’
- ‘The possibility that puberty is occurring earlier in Britain than previously has caused great interest.’
- ‘During the years between puberty and the menopause, women's ovaries make a hormone called oestrogen.’
- ‘Islam requires women to cover all parts of their body except their face and hands when they reach puberty.’
- ‘Some children grow slightly more slowly than others and reach puberty later than average.’
- ‘As puberty begins, your body begins to produce hormones that cause your eggs to mature.’
Late Middle English: from Latin pubertas, from puber adult, related to pubes (see pubes).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.