One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the Greek astronomer Ptolemy or his theories.
- ‘Her vernacular Dutch writings reflect familiarity with Latin, rhetoric, numerology, Ptolemaic astronomy and music theory.’
- ‘The world was breathing in the Ptolemaic concepts of astronomy for centuries until these were proven wrong by later astronomers and scientists.’
- ‘This was a true revolution in the sense that the Ptolemaic idea of the solar system and its motions was overthrown and ultimately replaced by the heliocentric Copernican picture.’
- ‘It is plausible to think that Copernicus' introduction of the heliocentric hypothesis had this effect on the previously unchallenged Ptolemaic earth-centered astronomy.’
- ‘Whatever the differences of detail, the Ptolemaic astronomers all agreed that God and Heaven were located beyond the visible universe, and even the Copernican Digges put them in the outermost region.’
2Relating to the Ptolemies of Egypt.See Ptolemy.
- ‘Cleopatra, in a grand gamble, sought not merely to maintain Egypt's precarious independence but to restore the Ptolemaic realm as it had been in its heyday.’
- ‘The greatest loss among these was the account by his general, Ptolemy, who later became Pharaoh of Egypt and founded the Ptolemaic royal line.’
- ‘As was the custom in the Ptolemaic dynasty, Cleopatra was the child of an incestuous marriage between brother and sister.’
- ‘More than a thousand years later the Ptolemaic dynasty commissioned a history of Egypt that mentioned a powerful female king.’
- ‘The earliest unequivocal evidence for emerald mining in Egypt dates to Ptolemaic times, and even for this period the evidence is scant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.