Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting drugs that affect a person's mental state:‘a psychotropic drug’‘myristicin has psychotropic properties’
- ‘It now constitutes a criminal offense to supply a person with narcotic drugs or psychotropic substances, or to incite other persons to use such drugs or substances, even when no material or personal benefit is intended.’
- ‘The benzodiazepines are psychotropic which means turning to the mind and so they have mind-altering effects.’
- ‘The immediate impact of psychotropic drugs on one's mental condition, for better or for worse, provides experimental proof for the relative materiality of our minds.’
- ‘The use of psychotropic drugs complicates the ongoing assessment of mental status, can impair the patient's ability to understand or cooperate with treatment, and is associated with a greater incidence of falls.’
- ‘Tran is supposed to be on psychotropic drugs to control her mental illness.’
A psychotropic drug.
- ‘In addition to marijuana, cocaine, and crack cocaine, the illicit drugs reported in the survey included hallucinogens, heroin, inhalants, and psychotropics.’
- ‘I favor legalization, and not just of pot but of all drugs, including heroin, cocaine, meth, psychotropics, mushrooms and LSD.’
- ‘About one in five of the prisoners have been put on antidepressants, psychotropics, and other drugs.’
- ‘I am vaguely intrigued by the consequences of designer psychotropics, brain steroids that are supposed to arrest, or even reverse, the ageing of mental functions.’
- ‘Back in Japan, Nakamura first heard of words like cocaine and psychotropics on television, and later she was impressed with a campaign against drug abuse that was started in her school.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.