One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting drugs that affect a person's mental state.‘a psychotropic drug’‘myristicin has psychotropic properties’
- ‘The benzodiazepines are psychotropic which means turning to the mind and so they have mind-altering effects.’
- ‘The immediate impact of psychotropic drugs on one's mental condition, for better or for worse, provides experimental proof for the relative materiality of our minds.’
- ‘It now constitutes a criminal offense to supply a person with narcotic drugs or psychotropic substances, or to incite other persons to use such drugs or substances, even when no material or personal benefit is intended.’
- ‘The use of psychotropic drugs complicates the ongoing assessment of mental status, can impair the patient's ability to understand or cooperate with treatment, and is associated with a greater incidence of falls.’
- ‘Tran is supposed to be on psychotropic drugs to control her mental illness.’
A psychotropic drug.
- ‘While TCAs were the most prescribed psychotropic in 1988, by 1994, SSRI prescriptions nearly reached their numbers.’
- ‘I favor legalization, and not just of pot but of all drugs, including heroin, cocaine, meth, psychotropics, mushrooms and LSD.’
- ‘In addition to marijuana, cocaine, and crack cocaine, the illicit drugs reported in the survey included hallucinogens, heroin, inhalants, and psychotropics.’
- ‘Back in Japan, Nakamura first heard of words like cocaine and psychotropics on television, and later she was impressed with a campaign against drug abuse that was started in her school.’
- ‘I am vaguely intrigued by the consequences of designer psychotropics, brain steroids that are supposed to arrest, or even reverse, the ageing of mental functions.’
- ‘Every single psychotropic on the previous list has been tested with a taper since I inherited this patient several years ago.’
- ‘About one in five of the prisoners have been put on antidepressants, psychotropics, and other drugs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.