One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Brain surgery, such as leucotomy, used to treat mental disorder.
- ‘But you can regard cosmetic surgery as being almost psychosurgery in that many of the conditions we are treating, even in people that are well adjusted, are in fact a psychological perception of aging of physical deformity.’
- ‘In general, that's sort of a fuzzy borderline between psychosurgery and neurological surgery.’
- ‘But I doubt that many people would be aware that psychosurgery, or brain surgery, is being done to treat mental illness or behavioural problems today.’
- ‘But in 1935, the distinguished Portuguese neuroscientist, Egas Moniz, directed the first prefrontal lobotomy, and this marked the real beginning of modern psychosurgery.’
- ‘Although Lucio's symptoms gradually abated, and despite Dr. Nise's strong objections, he was subjected to a then popular form of psychosurgery - lobotomy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.