One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Brain surgery, such as leucotomy, used to treat mental disorder.
- ‘But you can regard cosmetic surgery as being almost psychosurgery in that many of the conditions we are treating, even in people that are well adjusted, are in fact a psychological perception of aging of physical deformity.’
- ‘But in 1935, the distinguished Portuguese neuroscientist, Egas Moniz, directed the first prefrontal lobotomy, and this marked the real beginning of modern psychosurgery.’
- ‘Although Lucio's symptoms gradually abated, and despite Dr. Nise's strong objections, he was subjected to a then popular form of psychosurgery - lobotomy.’
- ‘In general, that's sort of a fuzzy borderline between psychosurgery and neurological surgery.’
- ‘But I doubt that many people would be aware that psychosurgery, or brain surgery, is being done to treat mental illness or behavioural problems today.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.