One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The interpretation of historical events with the aid of psychological theory.‘his greatest contributions were in the field of psychohistory’count noun ‘this psychohistory of postmodernity focuses on the changing image of California’
- ‘I eagerly await Seidman's analysis of Asimov's psychohistory in terms of ‘pseudoscience ‘and ‘anti-science.’’
- ‘As I understand it, the history of emotions hopes to stand psychohistory on its head.’
- ‘The lead in historical work on globalization is taken by specialists in international relations spiced by imaginative mavericks from fields like the history of science and even psychohistory.’
- ‘In this far-distant future, Seldon's name is lost in the mists of history, and psychohistory is a occult practice, whose ‘Psycholars’ maintain their Galactic rule by keeping the tenets of their science secret.’
- ‘Like many disciplines, history stays alive through novelty spins, Romantic History, psychohistory, the school of the annales and oral history.’
- 1.1count noun A psychological history of an individual.‘the psychohistory of the author’
- ‘He wrote several "psychohistories" explaining how people like Martin Luther and Mahatma Gandhi were able to think and act the way they did.’
- ‘Nixon and Kennedy, both Presidents with dominant fathers had significant leadership flaws as their psychohistories explain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.