One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun A form of psychotherapy in which patients act out events from their past.‘the treatment includes art therapy and psychodrama’count noun ‘in the hospital, Hector participated in a psychodrama’
- ‘The studied interventions included psychotherapy, psychodrama, cognitive behavior therapy, relaxation therapy, and guided imagery or hypnosis.’
- ‘They will chip away at any self-deception during the gruelling group sessions, which are at the heart of the programme - though psychodrama and art therapy are also used.’
- ‘There is also no acknowledgment of alternative therapies such as Gestalt or psychodrama that are geared to deal with this type of anger.’
- ‘Other forms of treatment were electroconvulsive therapy, discussion of the evils of homosexuality, desensitisation of an assumed phobia of the opposite sex, hypnosis, psychodrama, and abreaction.’
- ‘Trained in psychodrama, the drama teacher's responsibility was to help children act out their emotions.’
2A play, film, or novel in which psychological elements are the main interest.‘a psychodrama about a brain-warped prisoner-of-war survivor’
- ‘Many of the characters in Allen's film are afraid to step outside into the world, and their humorless, arid lives again seem more suited to an Ibsen psychodrama then Allen's usual cinema territory.’
- ‘Die Schöne Müllerin and Winterreise are extended psychodramas dealing with lost love.’
- ‘Michael Haneke's The Piano Teacher stars Isabelle Huppert in the title role of a sexual psychodrama bearing the Austrian director's standard unsettling thumbprint.’
- ‘Jandek, an ultra-reclusive singer-songwriter specializing in unnervingly bleak psychodramas accompanied by an out-of-tune guitar, has been read as both incompetent and musically avant-garde.’
- ‘Scalapino here proposes the Noh might function as a psychodrama, which we might add to the other functions the Noh has served.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.