One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounderogatory, informal
Jargon used in popular psychology.‘the writing is clear and unfussy, blessedly free of psychobabble’
specialized language, technical language, slang, cant, idiom, argot, patter, patois, vernacularView synonyms
- ‘The author aims to provide readers with a ‘profound psychological insight’ into the life of Bill Clinton but ends up spouting Freudian psychobabble.’
- ‘Furthermore, a good chunk of his theory is untestable metaphysics, psychobabble and gobbledygook.’
- ‘Page after page of manic ramblings crowd these uneven stories to a claustrophobic pitch, threatening to lose even the most attentive of readers with their jargon-heavy, obfuscated psychobabble.’
- ‘Unfortunately, in this reviewer's estimation, it is a flawed one: an attempted blend of evolutionary theory as the basis for psychology and implausible Freudian psychobabble.’
- ‘Is this self-indulgent psychobabble or legitimate therapy?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.