One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who practises psychoanalysis.
- ‘For example, Freud analysed his own daughter Anna over a period of several years, a flagrant violation of psychoanalytic principles which most psychoanalysts would condemn.’
- ‘The influence of European child psychoanalysts such as Hermine Hug-Hellmuth, Anna Freud and Melanie Klein became pervasive in this country.’
- ‘When behaviourism became the dominant paradigm, there were still psychoanalysts probing the depths of the psyche.’
- ‘So I suppose I've been sitting here, sorting out what do I do as a pastoral carer that is different to what a psychotherapist or a psychoanalyst does.’
- ‘She is a psychoanalyst and practicing therapist who works primarily with survivors of rape and sexual violence.’
- ‘What were the main theories of infancy which psychoanalysts had developed, based on their clinical sensitivity and intuition, by the time the trickle of infant research became a flood in the 70s?’
- ‘Contemporary psychoanalysts are concerned also with perverse states of mind and feeling which are directed towards damaging a good and creative conjunction in work and understanding.’
- ‘Yet, clinical psychologists and psychoanalysts, who might best distinguish traumatic behavior, are not trained in the analysis of society or culture.’
- ‘His drive to explore the internal world met with the same opposition and hostility as those of us who study the impact and implications of contextual/boundary situations meet from psychoanalysts themselves.’
- ‘Computational theories of emotion seem to have been particularly attractive to psychiatrists and psychoanalysts.’
- ‘As psychoanalysts we tend to think of death and loss and separation as states of mind to be addressed in the work of mourning rather than in ritual actions’
- ‘Even what we psychoanalysts come across in our consulting rooms is a vast range of disorders, which for the sake of simplicity we call psychotic.’
- ‘Both traumas require proactive engagement of family members and interpretive actions of psychotherapists and psychoanalysts that open the self to witness and acknowledgment.’
- ‘To manage to live through such destructive attacks requires knowing who we are and what we stand for, as individual psychoanalysts and as a multilingual, multifaceted movement that speaks in many voices.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.