One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of psychological theory and therapy which aims to treat mental disorders by investigating the interaction of conscious and unconscious elements in the mind and bringing repressed fears and conflicts into the conscious mind by techniques such as dream interpretation and free association.
psychotherapy, analysisView synonyms
- ‘In Australia Freudian psychoanalysis has remained on the edge of medical power.’
- ‘Thus, psychoanalysis became a technique of helping the patient to help him or herself.’
- ‘As well as being the father of psychoanalysis, Freud might also be considered one of the founders of neuropsychology.’
- ‘The advantages of psychoanalysis are primarily that it hasn't shied away from studying the mind as it is, as we live it.’
- ‘Evil cannot always be repelled by incantations, by demonstrations, by social analysis or by psychoanalysis.’
- ‘Freud once argued that the aim of psychoanalysis was to reduce extreme hysteria to everyday common misery.’
- ‘The rise of psychoanalysis did much to validate the contents of mental symptoms, including delusions.’
- ‘In formal psychoanalysis, you lie on a couch and the therapist sits unseen behind you.’
- ‘However, not all of the surrealists saw psychoanalysis and the liberation of the human mind as an end in itself.’
- ‘Habermas follows Alfred Lorenzer, who treats psychoanalysis as a form of linguistic analysis.’
- ‘We learn from psychoanalysis that some part of our mind always knows or is perpetually in danger of knowing.’
- ‘Freud thought psychoanalysis was all you needed for the healthy soul.’
- ‘The concept most fundamental to psychoanalysis is that of the unconscious mind.’
- ‘His parents tried all avenues of speech therapy, hypnotherapy and psychoanalysis to no avail.’
- ‘Elektra does, however, anticipate not only psychoanalysis, but other developments in psychiatry.’
- ‘Over recent decades psychoanalysis has moved from a focus on the object to a search for the subject.’
- ‘If psychoanalysis is right about the unconscious, we none of us know quite what we mean when we say I.’
- ‘To discover what psychoanalysis is, the patient needs to experience it for himself from within.’
- ‘Freud invented a therapeutic setting, called psychoanalysis, in which this self could be overheard.’
- ‘First, psychoanalysis provides insight into the meaning of the reversal of the gender roles in the plays.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.