One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of psychological theory and therapy which aims to treat mental disorders by investigating the interaction of conscious and unconscious elements in the mind and bringing repressed fears and conflicts into the conscious mind by techniques such as dream interpretation and free association.
psychotherapy, analysisView synonyms
- ‘His parents tried all avenues of speech therapy, hypnotherapy and psychoanalysis to no avail.’
- ‘Evil cannot always be repelled by incantations, by demonstrations, by social analysis or by psychoanalysis.’
- ‘Freud once argued that the aim of psychoanalysis was to reduce extreme hysteria to everyday common misery.’
- ‘The advantages of psychoanalysis are primarily that it hasn't shied away from studying the mind as it is, as we live it.’
- ‘Freud thought psychoanalysis was all you needed for the healthy soul.’
- ‘In Australia Freudian psychoanalysis has remained on the edge of medical power.’
- ‘Freud invented a therapeutic setting, called psychoanalysis, in which this self could be overheard.’
- ‘The rise of psychoanalysis did much to validate the contents of mental symptoms, including delusions.’
- ‘We learn from psychoanalysis that some part of our mind always knows or is perpetually in danger of knowing.’
- ‘Habermas follows Alfred Lorenzer, who treats psychoanalysis as a form of linguistic analysis.’
- ‘The concept most fundamental to psychoanalysis is that of the unconscious mind.’
- ‘Elektra does, however, anticipate not only psychoanalysis, but other developments in psychiatry.’
- ‘First, psychoanalysis provides insight into the meaning of the reversal of the gender roles in the plays.’
- ‘However, not all of the surrealists saw psychoanalysis and the liberation of the human mind as an end in itself.’
- ‘If psychoanalysis is right about the unconscious, we none of us know quite what we mean when we say I.’
- ‘To discover what psychoanalysis is, the patient needs to experience it for himself from within.’
- ‘Over recent decades psychoanalysis has moved from a focus on the object to a search for the subject.’
- ‘As well as being the father of psychoanalysis, Freud might also be considered one of the founders of neuropsychology.’
- ‘Thus, psychoanalysis became a technique of helping the patient to help him or herself.’
- ‘In formal psychoanalysis, you lie on a couch and the therapist sits unseen behind you.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.