Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Music, culture, or art based on the experiences produced by psychedelic drugs.‘the songs were fine, replete with the cheerful dissonance of psychedelia’‘San Francisco, the birthplace of psychedelia’
- ‘Here he splices together strands of blues and straight down-the-line rock with some folk, psychedelia, trip-hop and world music influences.’
- ‘Oasis also stakes out very different sonic terrain, nodding to electronic pop, dub reggae, and sixties psychedelia.’
- ‘The wider musical climate was defined by the gaudiness of psychedelia, but the music they put to tape tapped somehow into an America that predated rock by at least a century.’
- ‘Modlang's Slaughtered By The Sun is a quality piece of psychedelia based around a beat that's part krautrock and part soul.’
- ‘But the album, as a whole, feels very retro, flitting between the 60s psychedelia of The Beach Boys and The Beatles and the more modern likes of Bowie and George Harrison.’
1960s: back-formation from psychedelic.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.