One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Writing or written under a false name.‘the monarch was not spared by the pseudonymous critic Junius’‘his books are pseudonymous’
false, fictitious, invented, made-up, concocted, feigned, pretended, faked, fake, bogus, sham, spurious, counterfeit, pseudo, make-believe, improvised, affected, adoptedView synonyms
- ‘Another myth is dynamited in The Spectator in which a pseudonymous publisher reveals the truth behind bookshop ‘recommendations’.’
- ‘Would a true believer really have faked a vision of Christ, as did the pseudonymous author of Revelation, or a letter of Peter or Paul?’
- ‘The pseudonymous author of Fear and Trembling - Johannes de silentio - disclaims any pretensions to be a philosopher, at least in the fashionable Hegelian sense.’
- ‘In the Chronicle of Higher Education, a pseudonymous assistant professor writes about the burdens of being a conservative student and then tenure-track professor.’
- ‘The only writer identified in the book by full name is the author; the other 18 are probably pseudonymous accompanied by a rough bios mostly outlining their personalities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.