Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A crystal consisting of one mineral but having the form of another.
- ‘Close examination of the drift and crosscut revealed two crystal-bearing zones, where two large vugs were discovered that contained superb quartz encrustation pseudomorphs of calcite crystals.’
- ‘Amazing and fantastic forms of representatives of the mineral world are displayed in the exhibitions dedicated to crystals, mineral aggregates, and pseudomorphs.’
- ‘The idea that tiger's-eye is a pseudomorph - a mineral in which crystals of one material take on the form of another, which it replaces atom by atom - held sway for more than 125 years.’
- ‘Similar malachite masses weighing up to 3 tons as well as malachite pseudomorphs after cuprite crystals to 2 cm have been found in the mine.’
- ‘In one isolated occurrence, aggregates of small cerussite crystals form pseudomorphs, less than 2 mm across, after an unknown mineral.’
Replace (another substance) to form a pseudomorph.‘actinolite and hornblende typically pseudomorph pyroxene’
- ‘Andalusite porphyroblasts that overgrow the S 1 fabric were pseudomorphed by colourless mica.’
- ‘The most common secondary uranium mineral at the mine, it is typically associated with sooty black organic material and may pseudomorph it.’
- ‘Foord reported that bastnasite has been found pseudomorphing allanite.’
- ‘Relict coarse, lath-shaped omphacites are variably preserved, but all are either partially retrogressed to pargasite or have been pseudomorphed by diopside-plagioclase symplectites.’
- ‘Titanite is less conspicuous and often pseudomorphed by carbonate and rutile; allanite more so in euhedral crystals up to I cm in length.’
Mid 19th century: from pseudo- ‘false’ + Greek morphē ‘form’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.