One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A layer of exudate resembling a membrane, formed on the surface of the skin or of a mucous membrane, especially the conjunctiva.
- ‘The gastric mucosa had distended glands that extended to the pseudomembrane with a volcano-like appearance.’
- ‘Interestingly, pseudomembranes with Aspergillus fungal organisms were also identified within necrotizing pseudomembranes of the tracheobronchial mucosa.’
- ‘Development of pseudomembranes in the gastrointestinal tract during acute inflammatory or vascular diseases has been confined to the small and/or large bowel, with rare occurrences in the esophagus.’
- ‘In severe exposure, necrosis of the respiratory epithelium leads to formation of a pseudomembrane, bronchial plugging, and bronchopneumonia.’
- ‘Microscopic examination showed the pseudomembranes arising from an area of ulceration, surrounded by acute and chronic inflammation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.