Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A section of a chromosome that is an imperfect copy of a functional gene.
- ‘In this process new genes are created by repeated gene duplications, and some genes may later become pseudogenes or even be deleted from the genome.’
- ‘Gene conversion from pseudogenes is also thought to be important in polycystic kidney disease.’
- ‘Finally, it is conceivable that a copy of a multicopy gene family is a pseudogene.’
- ‘Four alleles were putative pseudogenes and no Pto genes could be isolated from seven individuals of different Lycopersicon species.’
- ‘We use the fact that processed pseudogenes and functional genes are subject to different nucleotide-substitution patterns.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.