One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drug obtained from plants of the genus "Ephedra" (or prepared synthetically) and used as a nasal decongestant.
- ‘The dose of pseudoephedrine will be different for different patients.’
- ‘The legislation is intended to curb the proliferation of methamphetamine labs, where pseudoephedrine can be extracted from cold medicines to make methamphetamine.’
- ‘By acting directly on alpha-adrenergic receptors in the mucosa of the respiratory tract, pseudoephedrine produces vasoconstriction leading to nasal decongestion.’
- ‘She said officers had found multiple packs of flu remedies containing pseudoephedrine in raids on drug factories.’
- ‘Now, the government strictly limits even the sale of over-the-counter preparations containing pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘Several states, including Montana, have banned unregistered sales of pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘Sudafed contains the nasal decongestant pseudoephedrine, which is structurally similar to ephedrine, yet they do have different properties.’
- ‘There are regulations going through to restrict the sales of pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘People with heart disease or hypertension should watch out for any legitimate drug that contains pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘Some pharmaceutical companies are modifying their products to eliminate pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘The chemicals are used to convert common cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine into meth.’
- ‘Product identification cards are necessary for medicines containing pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘Several states have cut meth production by restricting sales of cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine, the main ingredient in meth.’
- ‘I urge anyone with insomnia to check all medications for pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘Hence a urine test showed minute traces of the banned stimulant pseudo-ephedrine.’
- ‘A federal bill to restrict sales of cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine cleared the Senate Judiciary Committee this week.’
- ‘We do not suggest replacing ephedrine with pseudoephedrine, due to its weak effects.’
- ‘A very significant amount of pseudoephedrine is making its way out of pharmacies into the community.’
- ‘Purchases of products containing pseudoephedrine will be limited to two packages.’
- ‘A cup of tea made with Ephedra nevadensis, for instance, delivers a dose of ephedrine or pseudoephedrine powerful enough to suppress lactation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.