One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Attempted copulation by a male insect with a flower (especially an orchid) that resembles the female, carrying pollen to it in the process.
- ‘The phenomenon of flowers pollinated by pseudocopulation has been very well documented for Afro-European and Australian terrestrial orchids.’
- ‘Mating is achieved by pseudocopulation, a process of external fertilization in which partners maintain a close physical association before their synchronous release of gametes.’
- ‘Here we describe a new case of pollination by genitalic pseudocopulation in orchids, this time in the genus Lepanthes.’
- ‘All previous reports of orchid pollination through pseudocopulation involve solitary wasps or bees.’
- ‘Nematomorphs are dioecious, they reproduce with true copulation or pseudocopulation (Gordiida).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.