Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Attempted copulation by a male insect with a flower (especially an orchid) that resembles the female, carrying pollen to it in the process.
- ‘Here we describe a new case of pollination by genitalic pseudocopulation in orchids, this time in the genus Lepanthes.’
- ‘All previous reports of orchid pollination through pseudocopulation involve solitary wasps or bees.’
- ‘Mating is achieved by pseudocopulation, a process of external fertilization in which partners maintain a close physical association before their synchronous release of gametes.’
- ‘Nematomorphs are dioecious, they reproduce with true copulation or pseudocopulation (Gordiida).’
- ‘The phenomenon of flowers pollinated by pseudocopulation has been very well documented for Afro-European and Australian terrestrial orchids.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.