One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Attempted copulation by a male insect with a flower (especially an orchid) that resembles the female, carrying pollen to it in the process.
- ‘All previous reports of orchid pollination through pseudocopulation involve solitary wasps or bees.’
- ‘Mating is achieved by pseudocopulation, a process of external fertilization in which partners maintain a close physical association before their synchronous release of gametes.’
- ‘The phenomenon of flowers pollinated by pseudocopulation has been very well documented for Afro-European and Australian terrestrial orchids.’
- ‘Nematomorphs are dioecious, they reproduce with true copulation or pseudocopulation (Gordiida).’
- ‘Here we describe a new case of pollination by genitalic pseudocopulation in orchids, this time in the genus Lepanthes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.