One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A war instigated by a major power which does not itself become involved.‘the end of the Cold War brought an end to many of the proxy wars through which the two sides struggled to exert their influence’
- ‘Thus, as noted, David Aaronovitch describes the assault on Nicaragua as part of ‘the proxy war fought between the two superpowers for power and influence’.’
- ‘The proxy war in Kashmir between India and Pakistan also demonstrates that irregulars can fight limited wars for limited purposes, especially when the threat of nuclear war or conventional escalation is high.’
- ‘Rollback was the American end of the proxy war fought between the two superpowers for power and influence in the developing world.’
- ‘The west pumped in ‘aid’ and loans to buy weapons - from western arms manufacturers - to fight the proxy war against Soviet-backed rebel groups.’
- ‘People are supposed to ‘liberate’ themselves, not rely on some external force to come to their land and fight a proxy war for them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.