An electronic detonator that causes a projectile to explode when it comes within a preset distance of its target.
- ‘Sensing my aircraft nearby, the proximity fuse in the warhead detonated, spraying shrapnel in a wide arc.’
- ‘As the torpedo reaches the closest distance to the target, a magnetic proximity fuse and an impact fuse detonates the warhead.’
- ‘The warhead is located behind the seeker and is fitted with an impact fuse and a radar proximity fuse.’
- ‘The fragmentation and shaped charge warhead is equipped with a proximity fuse and an impact fuse.’
- ‘The Exocet's 165 kg high-explosive shaped charge warhead is armed with a delayed impact fuse and a proximity fuse.’