Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- informal term for provisional
- ‘With another crisis in the Northern Ireland peace process looming, the beleaguered Sinn Fein president urged people to believe him when he said Provos have not broken their ceasefire.’
- ‘The Provos ' terror campaign retarded the development of progressive politics in Ireland for a generation or more and drove the divided communities of Northern Ireland further apart.’
- ‘The Independent Monitoring Commission, the body set up to study terrorist ceasefires in Northern Ireland, blamed the Provos for the raid on a Makro cash and carry store in the south of the city last May.’
- ‘And Provos deserve credit for the Peace Process and can claim something of a democratic mandate even in Europe, where they have joined the communists.’
- ‘If that happened the Provos would find themselves dragged back into conflict and the Real IRA would have every excuse to spread bloody mayhem across the province.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.