One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
proper nounPlural Provos
An industrial and commercial city in north central Utah, south of Salt Lake City, home to Brigham Young University; population 118,581 (est. 2008).
- another term for provisional (sense 2 of the noun)
- ‘The Independent Monitoring Commission, the body set up to study terrorist ceasefires in Northern Ireland, blamed the Provos for the raid on a Makro cash and carry store in the south of the city last May.’
- ‘With another crisis in the Northern Ireland peace process looming, the beleaguered Sinn Fein president urged people to believe him when he said Provos have not broken their ceasefire.’
- ‘And Provos deserve credit for the Peace Process and can claim something of a democratic mandate even in Europe, where they have joined the communists.’
- ‘The Provos ' terror campaign retarded the development of progressive politics in Ireland for a generation or more and drove the divided communities of Northern Ireland further apart.’
- ‘If that happened the Provos would find themselves dragged back into conflict and the Real IRA would have every excuse to spread bloody mayhem across the province.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.