One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Subject to further confirmation; for the time being.‘the film, provisionally entitled Skin, is due to be released next year’
subject to confirmation, in an acting capacity, as a fill-in, short-term, pro tem, temporarily, for the interim, for the present, for the time being, for now, for the nonceView synonyms
- ‘And the date of August 30 has been provisionally marked for that event, pending approval.’
- ‘At the time of going to press the game has been provisionally fixed for Sunday evening next in Sarsfields at 6 pm.’
- ‘George Drever, of Kirkwall, was provisionally granted an entertainment licence for the proposed ten-pin bowling centre.’
- ‘The licence was provisionally granted on the condition that fire precautions were met and added washbasins installed.’
- ‘We have provisionally arranged to go for a drink.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.