Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Subject to further confirmation; for the time being.‘the film, provisionally entitled Skin, is due to be released next year’
- ‘George Drever, of Kirkwall, was provisionally granted an entertainment licence for the proposed ten-pin bowling centre.’
- ‘At the time of going to press the game has been provisionally fixed for Sunday evening next in Sarsfields at 6 pm.’
- ‘We have provisionally arranged to go for a drink.’
- ‘The licence was provisionally granted on the condition that fire precautions were met and added washbasins installed.’
- ‘And the date of August 30 has been provisionally marked for that event, pending approval.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.