One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Subject to further confirmation; for the time being.‘the film, provisionally entitled Skin, is due to be released next year’
subject to confirmation, in an acting capacity, as a fill-in, short-term, pro tem, temporarily, for the interim, for the present, for the time being, for now, for the nonceView synonyms
- ‘At the time of going to press the game has been provisionally fixed for Sunday evening next in Sarsfields at 6 pm.’
- ‘George Drever, of Kirkwall, was provisionally granted an entertainment licence for the proposed ten-pin bowling centre.’
- ‘We have provisionally arranged to go for a drink.’
- ‘And the date of August 30 has been provisionally marked for that event, pending approval.’
- ‘The licence was provisionally granted on the condition that fire precautions were met and added washbasins installed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.