Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
On the condition or understanding that.‘we have the team which can win the league, providing we avoid bad injuries’
if, on condition that, providing that, on the assumption that, as long as, with the provision that, with the proviso that, on the understanding that, with the understanding that, if and only if, contingent on, in the event that, allowing thatView synonyms
- ‘That will be enough to be a good economist, no matter how little, providing you are a good thinker and clear writer.’
- ‘Please understand, I have nothing against these vehicles, providing they are used in the proper manner.’
- ‘The dogs are fed at Elmwood according to their owners' request, providing Burton is satisfied that it is a suitable diet.’
- ‘Richard Stephenson will take Connolly's place providing he comes through a late fitness test on a hamstring.’
- ‘Anyone can join, providing they stump up the £40 life membership fee and get a member to propose them.’
- ‘Those working in these sectors can work all through the night, providing certain conditions are met.’
- ‘It's a result that means they will play in the Heineken Cup next season providing they retain their place in the Premiership.’
- ‘Perhaps Dr Oakley would care to take issue with them, providing they're qualified enough.’
- ‘I see a job change in seven months, providing you look around to find the right one.’
- ‘There is a sizeable demand for a decked car park, providing it is sensitively built.’
- ‘Even Dolly can be reasonably good at not making a mess when she's asked, providing she's asked nicely, of course.’
- ‘Can't see the BBC having any issues with tv-on-demand, providing they can get statistics from it.’
- ‘There are good paths, or so it seems, and the less able-bodied can hire an electric buggy providing they book in advance.’
- ‘The plan will be put to the National Assembly, providing it is passed by the Pembrokeshire NHS Trust today.’
- ‘They can do as they wish, providing it's not jeopardizing the rights of others, which they are with mine.’
- ‘It is for the most part a procedure of choice, providing the relevant criteria of the legislation are carried out’
- ‘The barbeque and entertainment is included in the admission fee, providing tickets are bought before the day of the game.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.