One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially in SE Asia) an investment fund contributed to by employees, employers, and (sometimes) the state, out of which a lump sum is provided to each employee on retirement.
- ‘The strike action came as a result of management's refusal to make good its promise to pay back workers' money from their provident fund.’
- ‘In addition to owing salaries, £324,000 has gone missing from the provident fund.’
- ‘The doctors accuse the college management of not paying gratuities, provident funds and other allowances.’
- ‘Chief executive Mark Konyn said he expects regional stock markets will rise in the final months of this year, giving mandatory provident funds a boost.’
- ‘The workers are also demanding an increase in their provident funds, shift allowance and annual bonuses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.