Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Something that protrudes; a protuberance.‘a protrusion of rock jutted from the mountainside’
bump, lump, knob, hump, jut, projection, prominence, protuberance, overhang, eminence, ledge, shelf, ridgesticking out, jutting, projection, projecting, obtrusion, obtruding, prominence, protuberanceView synonyms
- ‘With a typical hernia, there is a bulge resulting from the protrusion of an internal organ.’
- ‘Follow routes on protrusions and ridges, and always ski slow and conservative.’
- ‘They are coated with distinctive bumps and small protrusions against an overall veiled surface.’
- ‘The concrete path is studded with local river rocks of varying sizes, from pointy pebbles to smooth skipping stones to softball-sized protrusions.’
- ‘Despite its age, the walls were already pitted and scorched, the ceiling covered with small bumps and protrusions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.