Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Sticking out; projecting:‘a stocky guy with a furrowed brow and a protruding bottom lip’
- ‘They have large, forward-set, movable eyes and an upward slanting mouth with a long protruding lower jaw that can be thrust out.’
- ‘A simple bird bath, preferably one that sits directly on the ground and which has a protruding rock in it on which birds can sit, will do the trick.’
- ‘The protruding end of the ovipositor was grasped with fine tweezers and the whole reproductive tract pulled out.’
- ‘The periodical cicada has protruding red eyes and orange legs; adults have clear wings with orange veins.’
- ‘The median bar is eccentrically positioned in the shell; thus the lengths of the protruding rays differ within a specimen.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.