One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large body of matter in orbit around the sun or a star and thought to be developing into a planet.‘this analysis supported the view that the moon originated from a glancing collision between the earth and another protoplanet 4,500 million years ago’
- ‘Many scientists think it's a protoplanet left over from the solar system's first few million years.’
- ‘The protoplanet candidate orbits about 70 times further from its star than Earth does from the Sun.’
- ‘It isn't clear how the latest suspected protoplanet is being formed.’
- ‘There are indications that the surroundings of the protoplanet are potentially heated up by the formation process.’
- ‘Learning more about the protoplanet won't be fast or easy.’
1940s: from proto- + planet.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.