Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large body of matter in orbit around the sun or a star and thought to be developing into a planet.‘this analysis supported the view that the moon originated from a glancing collision between the earth and another protoplanet 4,500 million years ago’
- ‘The protoplanet candidate orbits about 70 times further from its star than Earth does from the Sun.’
- ‘Learning more about the protoplanet won't be fast or easy.’
- ‘It isn't clear how the latest suspected protoplanet is being formed.’
- ‘Many scientists think it's a protoplanet left over from the solar system's first few million years.’
- ‘There are indications that the surroundings of the protoplanet are potentially heated up by the formation process.’
1940s: from proto- + planet.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.