Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Transfer a proton to (a molecule, group, or atom) which forms a coordinate bond to the proton:‘the acid environment favours conversion of these anions to their protonated uncharged form’
- ‘Once all contacts are established and the ligand is protonated, the interaction is quite strong and the dissociation reaction is much slower than with similar amidine compounds.’
- ‘In the second basic photocycle step, the chromophore is protonated and structural changes take place in the protein.’
- ‘We postulate that this pathway is blocked when both groups are protonated (state A) or deprotonated (state C).’
- ‘Ionizable groups were protonated to represent pH = 7.0.’
- ‘All aspartic acid and glutamic acid residues as well as C-terminal groups were deprotonated; arginine, lysine, and N-terminal groups were protonated.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.