Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a hermaphrodite flower or animal) having the female reproductive organs come to maturity before the male.The opposite of protandrous
- ‘Female wrasses are called protogynous hermaphrodites, which means they can change sex to become males should there be a need, such as when a dominant male is eaten, dies, or is chased away.’
- ‘The pistillate flower of the cyathium develops before the male ones; thus each cyathium is functionally a protogynous hermaphrodite ‘flower’.’
- ‘Of particular interest was gender variation of early blooming inflorescences in this protogynous species.’
- ‘Flowers of this species are protogynous, visited by a good variety of insects, and capable of both self-and cross-fertilization.’
- ‘Functionally, flowers are hermaphroditic, protogynous and self-compatible, but substantial seed production requires insect pollination.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.