One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In recent years, eukaryotes have been broken down into four kingdoms: animals, plants, fungi, and protists or protoctists.’
- ‘Not only bacteria, but also archaea, small fungi, and anaerobic (without oxygen) protoctists just don't fit the ‘species concept’ as written above.’
- ‘It was just in 1980 that the minute protoctists in the ‘picoplankton’ of polar waters were discovered.’
- ‘Most nations of the world do not have complete inventories of their flora and fauna, let alone their fungi, protoctists, and prokaryotes (microorganisms).’
- ‘Those who study protoctists, nucleated microorganisms and their immediate descendants exclusive of animals, plants and fungi, are disenfranchised.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.