Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The domination of the Anglo-Irish Protestant minority in Ireland, especially in the 18th and 19th centuries.
- ‘The war from 1689 to 1691, which saw the Catholic population summarily defeated, laid the basis for over a century of Protestant ascendancy.’
- ‘By agreeing to direct talks, the Loyal Orders may dispel the notion that they are merely triumphalist organisations, wanting to see a return to a new millennium version of the 17th century Protestant ascendancy in Ireland.’
- ‘For Britain, the peace process was driven primarily by the fact that its old methods of rule over the north though Unionism and the Protestant ascendancy were no longer effective.’
- ‘The term Anglo-Irish was applied increasingly by 19th-century historians of the Protestant ascendancy to register growing awareness of the political and social circumstances of British settlers in Ireland.’
- ‘The reactionary combination of nationalism, Catholicism and Gaelic romanticism was a sharp rejoinder to centuries of Protestant ascendancy.’
- 1.1 The members of the landed aristocracy comprising the Anglo-Irish Protestant minority in Ireland.
- ‘Upper middle class Australia is no longer the exclusive property of the Protestant ascendancy, but the newcomers to money and status have learned the old putdowns.’
- ‘Throughout the last century the Protestant ascendancy ran the colonies as landholders, merchants, professionals, administrators, legislators, magistrates and missionaries.’
- ‘He is a striking exemplar of the Anglo-Australian Protestant ascendancy that ruled interwar Australia.’
- ‘Shortly before Humbert landed there was a vicious, though short-lived, outburst in Wicklow, enough to convince the Protestant ascendancy of its isolation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.